Tom Fisher is founder and principal of Fisher Financial Strategies (FFS), an independent Registered Investment Adviser firm in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He specializes in providing Fee-Only, hourly, as-needed financial planning and investment advisory services to individuals and families.
Because FFS does not receive any compensation from the sale of financial products or insurance, we are free to focus our attention entirely on the needs of our clients. We can serve clients who do not need to buy financial products, as well as those who do, by directing them to the best available options for their specific situations.
Many financial advisory firms accept only clients who meet certain net worth or income guidelines. Our services are oriented toward people from all walks of life – not just the wealthy.
Tom holds a Certificate in Financial Planning from Boston University and passed the 10-hour CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ certification examination in 2008. He was authorized to use the CFP® mark of distinction in 2009.
Tom’s work as a deacon in his local church led to an opportunity to serve on a national board responsible for managing church properties and overseeing a charitable endowment portfolio. Later, he took an active role in the governance of a small college as a member of its Board of Trustees. With thirty years of experience as a private investor in stocks, bonds, mutual funds, financial derivatives, and real estate, Tom has gained first-hand knowledge of the vagaries of financial markets.
Unlike most financial planners, Tom began his professional life in the electronic materials industry. In addition to his work as a research chemist, Tom was responsible for leading cross-functional teams in the development and commercialization of chemicals used to manufacture integrated circuit devices. During a 20-year career with Shipley/Rohm and Haas Electronic Materials, Tom collaborated with co-workers in the U.S., England, Japan and Korea, conducting research and product development. This work also took him to the Far East and Europe to meet with customers and collaborators.
Many of the skills that Tom developed in his first career – working with others to identify and solve problems, developing risk management strategies, analyzing and interpreting data, and finding creative solutions to new challenges – are also critical to the financial planning process.
A native of South Carolina, Tom is the author/co-author of published articles on spectroscopy, microlithography, and church history. He holds two patents for inventions related to semiconductor fabrication.
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, magna cum laude, Furman University, Greenville, SC (Phi Beta Kappa)
- Masters in Chemistry, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Certificate in Financial Planning, Boston University, Boston, MA
- The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA), the nation's leading group of fee-only financial planners, whose members adhere to a strict code of ethics.
- The Financial Planning Association (FPA), a national organization committed to fostering ongoing training and expertise in the financial planning field.
- The Garrett Planning Network (GPN), an international affiliation of independent financial planners dedicated to providing commission-free advice on an hourly, as-needed or per-project basis.
Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards Inc. owns the certification marks CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ and federally registered CFP (with flame design) in the U.S., which it awards to individuals who successfully complete CFP Board’s initial and ongoing certification requirements.